Monday, January 21, 2008

Searching and Researching

I have many times read and reread a passage from a book because it strikes me as profound. I try very hard to maintain a record of these passages (maybe it is because librarians know that, more than likely, somebody is going to ask about it someday). I have more than once been very grateful that I have done this. Some are very poignant, some are more mundane.

Very often someone comes to you and asks for advice; sometimes you have none to give. Often you can only think what some other person told you, perhaps you tell the story of another and home it is apt. These are the times you might be very grateful you have learned to recognize wisdom when you see it.

Certainly it is not practical to copy down every phrase that catches your attention, but when something truly strikes you, truly makes you aware of another point of view or another way of describing the world around us, then you might just take it down.

No comments: